PDA

View Full Version : cooking wine?

midnitecreations
02-08-2013, 10:19 PM
For those of you that cook with wine, what kind do you buy? I'm not a wine drinker and every time I hear or see someone cooking with wine, they always say, "use what you would drink". Well, if you don't drink, what's a good dry white wine or red wine to deglaze that you would use?

maxiesmom
02-09-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm not much help, Renu. I prefer sweet white wines when I do drink them. I have gottan a lot as gifts from my bosses wife and know that Chardonnay and the Pinot's are dry wines. Anyway, they are too dry for me! I know nothing about reds. Surely there must be something out there in Google land that could be of help?

HeatherJ
02-09-2013, 09:36 AM
I don't cook with wine often or have lots on hand but I have had the occasion to just use some left overs which means for dry whites I have Chardonnay on hand and for reds, its Merlot.

midnitecreations
02-09-2013, 10:30 AM
Thanks guys. I did google Kathy, but again, the most common answer was "use a wine you would drink"! Terrible answer for those of us that don't drink. Though Chardonnay was also given a lot.

firefly
02-09-2013, 02:13 PM
Renu,
I like to drink wine a little on the dry side. But for cooking, I use really dry white wine. Usually the cheapest white wine works great for cooking! The brand I have on the shelf right now is Lonz Haut Sauterne (a local Ohio wine). Anything labeled Sauterne is usually really dry! Hope this helps!

A little wine in creamed chicken is yummy!

Sally

cindi
02-09-2013, 03:56 PM
for cooking i buy those little 4 packs of mini bottles, for white as we don't really drink white wine here..gary loved reds though..a merlot..he likes lambrusco too,, that would be fine to cook with
:)

midnitecreations
02-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Cindi, I had no idea they sold wines in little bottles. That would be fantastic. It would give me a chance to try different kinds. Thanks.

maxiesmom
02-09-2013, 08:26 PM
Yes, our Kroger and a few of the other grocery stores sell small wine bottles plus beer and some wine coolers. In the summer they usually sell them 10 for 10!

midnitecreations
02-09-2013, 09:15 PM
Thanks for the heads up Kathy. I will have to keep my eye out.