PDA

View Full Version : Trying a Guiness Beef Stew

HeatherJ
10-27-2013, 12:21 PM
My friend made one last weekend and it was sooooo tender. She used a slow cooker but I a just using my usual stew method but added a 12 can of Guiness to the beef while it simmers with the onions for an hour or so. I'll let you know how it turns out.

maxiesmom
10-27-2013, 02:09 PM
Please do, sounds yummy. Chicken soup in this household today.

HeatherJ
10-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Oh my, just read my original post - I did not use 12 cans of beer, that should be 1/2 a can!

maxiesmom
10-27-2013, 06:56 PM
I assumed it meant 12 oz. or some such. 12 cans would be a mighty lot!!

loobylou
10-28-2013, 08:21 AM
sounds yummy. The local pub does a yummy Beef and Guinness pie. I imagine the meat is cooked like your stew, then put in a pie dish with pastry ontop.
I cook my silverside (corned beef) in the crockpot with dry ginger ale. Might try Guinness next time.

cindi
10-28-2013, 09:17 AM
sounds yummy..do let us know and feel free to share that recipe
:)

maxiesmom
10-28-2013, 05:16 PM
sounds yummy. The local pub does a yummy Beef and Guinness pie. I imagine the meat is cooked like your stew, then put in a pie dish with pastry ontop.
I cook my silverside (corned beef) in the crockpot with dry ginger ale. Might try Guinness next time.

1- thank you for saying that silverside=corned beef. Never would have guessed.
2- I am not a fan of ginger ale at all so that sounds gross to me!! In fact, ginger of any kind only in small doses. When I was 12 or 13 we went to Jamaica on a family vacation and there was an herbalist on the property and my mother was fascinated by her and bought a bunch of stuff. One of the remedies for a sore throat was tea made from steeping ginger root so of course the next time I got one, that was what I was subjected to. Ack, ack, ack. To this day I cannot stomach ginger!

and that's my story for today.

maxiesmom
10-28-2013, 05:16 PM
So Heather, how was the stew??

HeatherJ
10-28-2013, 06:01 PM
We ended up at Fred's mom for supper last night so had the stew tonight. Very tasty, not a real strong taste of the Guiness just a hint. I browned the stew beef in the pan with onions, some spices and then simmered it with the 1/2 can of Guiness. After an hour and a half, I added cut raw veggies (carrots, turnip, potato, mushroom, and frozen green beans, plus a can of salt free diced tomatoes and the rest of the beer. I let that simmer for another few hours.

Patty
10-28-2013, 09:47 PM
You are all making me hungry!!! Sounds delicious!!

cindi
10-29-2013, 10:23 AM
sounds fabulous, Heather!!
:)