PDA

View Full Version : even more inspiration.....

Kreative Dryve
01-21-2007, 01:18 PM
I don't know if you have checked out Doctor Oz' website, but I just did and it is so useful, basically the same thing as his book, but no money spent.

I did my real age test, and I am only 37.1 years old, compaired to my real age of 36.5, so that was not bad at all.:)
My BMI (body fat) is totally whacked, but I figured it would be.
After spending about an hour on the site, I found a menu plan for the week, that actually has real food on it. Plus they give you the nutritional value, the recipes and other stuff to work with.

Here is the site: www.realage.com/index.aspx

What you got to lose, besides weight, it's free!:spinny:

Remember, one long journey starts with one little step!

Best Wishes to all my Slimming Sisters! - MJ

workin4stamps
01-21-2007, 01:33 PM
I just LOVE Dr Oz. I try to follow a lot of his advice, thought I do admit I have some "off limit" foods in my cupboard. Last night at the store I bought some of the new Wheat Thins Crisps....they're good....I can eat 12 of them for 3 WW points.....but the first ingredient on the list is enriched something or other. BAD! I also started eating Bran Buds for breakfast because of the high fiber content. It also contains Psyllium Seed Husk, which Dr Oz recommends.... BUT....it has 8 g of sugar per serving, which is over his limit, PLUS the 4th or 5th ingredient is high fructose corn syrup. Oh boy.

So I am doing better, and trying to follow a lot of his advice....but I still have lots of room for improvement!!

Traci

Kreative Dryve
01-21-2007, 04:01 PM
portion control. Plus I love creamy, cheesey stuff.
And I don't move a lot anymore, but slowly I am changing my eating/fitness style.
I have always been a chicken and turkey eater, and I love a big juicy steak every now and then, after all I live in cattle country. I am buying super lean ground beef now.
I always have plenty of veggies and fruit on hand, for my kiddos, and I eat them, but never the recommended servings a day.

I am cutting out the trans fats, high fructose corn syrup, and the other no-no's.

My DD, who is a fitness junkie, (she plays softball, volleyball, basketball, runs at least a mile a day, plus weight lifts after school everyday) is having the hardest time trying to get used to the bread I now buy. She complains to me at least once a week. I have been shrugging it off, she'll get used to it!

We have a bakery/plant here that is called "Wheat Montana", they make all their breads, muffins, with wheat flour grown here in Montana, they also do all the processing, so all the good stuff is still in the flour they use, and now the local grocery store is starting to sell it. Not expensive at all.

I just want to make things better for me and the family! -MJ

maxiesmom
01-21-2007, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the website, MJ. Traci and I have talked about Dr. Oz before but I have never seen him. Yes, 8 g of sugar in a bran type cereal is pretty high, I think.
I am definitley going to be ordering from Puritan probably this week. DH and I are both going to start taking Omega 3 and I am also going to get the cinnamon, maybe some green tea supplements as well. There was an article in USA Weekend about 5 supplements people should take.
I also read that the cinnamon is good for helping your memory/mental acuity which I could definitely use!
Going to see if one of my coworkers would like anything since they have the buy 2, get 3 free. If I order and don't ask, I know I'll hear about it.

Kreative Dryve
01-21-2007, 07:20 PM
That's great Kathy!
I have a wonderful DH, that just goes along with me. He has lost 10 lbs since 1/2/07. So we are pretty even in our progress.
He has a very physical job so he has me beat in the active department, but my cholesterol, and blood pressure is better!
I have another reason for being more pro-active in my house hold, my youngest DS has thyroid issues. He had partial thyroidectomy at age 5, after we thought he had thyroid cancer. Pretty scary time for us, since thyroid cancer is fatal within 5 years. He ended up having a bacterial cyst (very rare)
and even though he doesn't take medication, I know he fluctuates in his hormone release. He is 10 now, and weighs more than he should. The great thing about changing his diet is that he is very agreeable to food choices, he watches the food network all the time, and talks about healthy choices, he even started reading labels. -MJ:grin:

maxiesmom
01-21-2007, 09:11 PM
That is super your son is willing to make healthy choices! And I'm very sorry to hear of his health issues, I may have heard you speak of it before. I have a pretty overweight nephew, he's very active, even on the swim team! He just makes really bad food choices. His mom tries to help him, especially with portion control, but he just doesn't get it yet.

Kreative Dryve
01-22-2007, 11:51 AM
He has always been a big kid, but he's not fat. He always eats pretty good, just too much at times I think! He even looks like he is trimming down.
I'm just glad he isn't complaining like my other two, although my middle DS is pretty easy going too! My DD is the one having the most grumbles about the food changes, but she is 16, so that is no surprise! MJ