PDA

View Full Version : Our 14 yo DD wants to get back into gymnastics ...

iloveflipflops
10-27-2006, 03:48 PM
She started gymnastics when she was a little thing at 4 yo and went to Level 6 but at age 12, it wasn't the cool thing to do anymore so she would just do tumbling once a week. When we moved to NC a year ago, she decided she was done so I didnt' push her. I tried but I wasn't getting anywhere so I figured it was her decision. Finally, a year later, she has decided she wants to go back to tumbling one day a week so she will do a free class in 2 weeks. I am anxious to see what she can still do, in regards to flips, etc. She will be a level 3 when she starts tumbling. We'll have to see if she wants to get back into competitive gymnastics again after all this time. Its so stressful :( or it can be anyway for me.

GrammaStamper
10-27-2006, 04:06 PM
Sherri, I do hope she enjoys the tumbling as much as she used to. While it may be stressful, it's really nice to know our kids are interested in such activities, and that you are able to encourage her and support her is fantastic.

Erin K
10-27-2006, 04:09 PM
Well good for her, I think it's a great thing. I hope whether she decided to compete or not she has a great time and enjoys it.

:)e

jdpisces
10-27-2006, 05:11 PM
Good for her! I am sure that now that she is "used" to living in NC, she feels a little more comfortable. I hope the classes go well!

Julie

rjkeaton
10-31-2006, 08:40 AM
Hi Sherri. My daughter is a gymnast. She's a Level 10 here in Ohio. She started tumbling when she was 3 and started competing at age 6, now she is 17 and a senior in high school! Do they have high school gymnastics in your area? That always seems to be a lot of fun for gymnasts that don't prefer the club scene. It can be a brutal sport, that's for sure. My daughter has seen a lot of girls come and go over the years, she has never wanted to quit and she even coaches on her only day off from practice. Gymnastics does have a lot of good points - helps a gril with her self-esteem and confidence, keeps them busy and out of trouble, keeps them in shape, and the disipline in the gym often carries over to the classroom. Best wishes to you daughter. I hope she takes it up again and makes it fun! -Reva

Jadyeebugsaunt
10-31-2006, 08:47 AM
Sherri
I hope she likes it, its good to have kids that age into something other than "hanging out" Do the still use that term? Boy , I feel old LOL!
Anyways, I hope you both enjoy it whaterver she decides to do.
Mindy

stampcrazyjulie
10-31-2006, 09:28 AM
Sounds like she wants to do things on her terms, huh? That's a Teenager for you! :) I was thinking of putting my 6 yo DD in Gymnastics, but it scares me. I guess all that flipping around and stuff. I have just heard too many horror stories. I would not be able to watch her practice that's for sure! Good Luck, Sherri! :)

iloveflipflops
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
It wasn't a real one just one to practice on and get ready for the big event. I went to it with my videocamera in one hand and she was the very first one on the floor. Her very first event was the vault. There she is ... going to be #1. She runs to jump onto the springy thing (ha ha, don't know the term for it) and whop, lands nose first into the vault!! I panicked, everyone in the audience gasped and I wanted to run out there but a coach was saying do not run out, just wait and see. She was fine, thank god but it scared me to death! That was the only thing that ever happened out of all those years of her competing so we were lucky!! :)