PDA

View Full Version : I want to fold with precision....

lost luggage
02-08-2007, 12:15 AM
Is there a secret to folding? Yes, I have abone folder, yes I know about scoring...

But how do you fold CARDSTOCK and make the ends meet up perfectly every time? Please share your technique ;)

scrapsoon
02-08-2007, 04:00 AM
hi,
if you look on the site of http://www.crafttvweekly.com/player.html?wid=53 and you search to tricia.
And then drop spinebox,she will explain it verry great and easy.
Also to see how to make the box is abs.great.
free login and every week great stuff and tips.

iupindiana
02-08-2007, 07:05 AM
I use the Scor-It. It really works great. JoAnn

Erin K
02-08-2007, 10:03 AM
Do I just have crappy low standards? Cuz I never hardly use my bone folder and I never ever score anything before folding. I think my folds come out fine, do you guys all secretly talk about "Erin's crappy folds" Like you get my cards and go, "tisk tisk, if only she didn't suck at folding" because I've never really thought about it.

jdpisces
02-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Honestly???? If I can't get the edges to meet up perfectly after scoring it, I just cut the long side to make things even. So far, so good!

Sherry
02-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Hi Julie,

I am an AutoCAD Technican by profession and folding technical drawings was one of my tasks. I once cried my eyes out because an Engineer yelled at me and asked "Where did you learn to fold drawings"? I have since learned my lesson and have become a master folder! Perhaps my techniques will help you out. Obviously, you should score your card to make the seam as nice as possible. Once the card is scored, grab to corners and place them together as if you were going to fold the card. Don't fold yet. Hold the corners together and place the card on a flat surface. While holding the corners in place with your fingers, use the base of your hand(s) to push the card flat. You now should have a perfectly folded card. :)

Erin K
02-08-2007, 10:14 AM
So I simply HAVE to score first? Because whenever I score first then do that corner thing (which is what I do by the way) where the fold ends up with the corners matched is not where I scored. :( I guess I am ok at folding but crappy at measuring? I'm sad, i don't want an Engineer to yell at me!

teabear
02-08-2007, 10:49 AM
I struggle with this, too. I once read that if you score the card one way and then turn 180 degrees and score again that you get a better fold. I still don't have it mastered...so, no, Erin, I don't say anything bad about your cards. I never even notice the fold on any card unless it's really wonky. I love the trim it if it doesn't come out perfect idea.

lost luggage
02-08-2007, 11:30 AM
I was just thinking to myself....that jerk Erin...she has crappy folds. (Crazy girl...LOL)

I am practicing origami and other folded projects and the japanese man I know kicks ass folding... and he doesn't score. I was frustrated last night making my maze books...nomatter what I did, every time I pressed down, one of the ends folded past the other.

Sherry- great tips; especially since you have to do this in your job. I will try it.

Practice grasshopper, practice. :)

buggainok
02-08-2007, 12:27 PM
Do I just have crappy low standards? Cuz I never hardly use my bone folder and I never ever score anything before folding. I think my folds come out fine, do you guys all secretly talk about "Erin's crappy folds" Like you get my cards and go, "tisk tisk, if only she didn't suck at folding" because I've never really thought about it.

Oh, Erin, Erin, Erin, you do make me smile.:biglaugh:

Lets hear it for "crappy low standards."! I have them, too, and it saves me a lot of emotional distress. I had a wonderful boss once who said: "It is helpful to develop a variable degree of indifference in life."

Seriously, I think it is a combination of technique, and the type of paper you are using as to whether the paper folds well. And keep those scissors handy!

JBgreendawn
02-08-2007, 06:14 PM
do you guys notice that some cardstocks seem to like fall apart after you try to fold it into cards?
(like where the score is?)

Im wondering if it has like a shoot what the term for fabric a right side and a wrong side or a sleveage? side? is that the right word?

I have some that will just fold beautifully and others that just makes you want to cut it in half and stick it on something else (after distressing the other 3 edges to match haha)

marymoilanen
02-08-2007, 08:23 PM
One of my biggest complaints with DCWV cardstock is that it cracks on the fold and white shows through. I guess it's OK if you want that distressed look.

I'd like to know more about Scor-It!

Jovi
02-08-2007, 10:15 PM
One of my biggest complaints with DCWV cardstock is that it cracks on the fold and white shows through. I guess it's OK if you want that distressed look.

I'd like to know more about Scor-It!

Mary I've had that same problem... Since I want the nice texture on the outside of the card, I fold it first with the texture on the inside and then open and refold backwards... I hope that makes sense.

Since I've been folding it this way I don't get the cracks of white on the spine of the card. ;)

dulluth
02-19-2007, 09:46 AM
Nice to hear that others have folding standards. I thought I was the only one who had troublr folding. I do use a scorer than put thr corners togeth er the rub with the side of the bone. Thanks Shirley

kerry
02-19-2007, 10:43 AM
I have a pet peeve for non-smooth cut edges and "bad" folds. I hold the edges together then keep them together with my hands when I use my bone folder on the folded edge.

Another way to make sure the paper (especially thick cardstock or the DCWV paper doesnt crack on the edge is to use the bone folder to pre-crease the outside AND the inside of the fold. Doing both sides will compress the fibers and allow for a GREAT, SMOOTH fold.

PS...Try doing a folding project with 24 kindergarteners. It's so funny how they fold! I have only about three students who can fold paper and meet the sides together every time. We talk in their terms: Hamburger fold and Hot Dog fold