PDA

View Full Version : Okay...prismacolours and gamsol...

Deborah
02-08-2007, 06:47 PM
So after seeing the amazing colouring on this site, I took the leap and bought oodles of Prismacolour pencils and gamsol. Now....blending...I bought these things called "Blending Tortillons" by Loew-Cornell. They're sort of rolled paper thingies. My question: once the tortillon thing gets messy, do I just sort of unroll the wound paper to get a clean spot? I have blending stumps too...same question...what do I do once the end gets too many colours on it...looks messy...do you sand it off...sharpen it...what?? Can you tell I've never used thee things before??

Thanks for any advice!

Deborah.

lost luggage
02-08-2007, 07:09 PM
Hi Deborah- I have a sanding stump thing that I rub the blending stump onto. It cleans off the color and semi sharpens it back up. :spinny:

michelle328
02-08-2007, 07:39 PM
Yep, you can find a little gizmo in the aisle with the stumps/tortillions. It sorta looks like a paint brush handle and has a stack of oh about 1"x2" sand paper. You just rub the tip over the sandpaper till all the gunk is gone. When the sandpaper gets gucked up, just tear it off and use the next one.

HTH
Michelle

Deborah
02-08-2007, 07:48 PM
Aaaahhhh! Thanks!

ranaleigh
02-08-2007, 08:03 PM
deborah, if you have a fingernail file that you're not using, it works fine too. Just trying to save you a little dough.

Deborah
02-08-2007, 10:19 PM
Even better! You'd think I'd know that 'eh? :laugh:

aselahop
02-10-2007, 11:36 AM
Hi Deborah,
I love my Prismacolor pencils and use odorless thinner instead of Gamsol.

What I do with my paper stumps is have one for each color family I use. So I actually never sharpen mine. I don't want the edges to to rough and unravel.(it doesn't take a lot of pressure to move the pigment around on the paper if you are using Prismacolor pencils to color your image.)
I have two types of paper stumps. One's that are made in China and ones that are made in Taiwan. The China ones are harder and the Taiwan ones are softer. People will swear by the Taiwan ones over the China made ones. I find they are different, but they both work just as well for me.

Deborah
02-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Thanks so much for the paper stumps primer! I bought the Made in China stumps, and since I really don't have a CLUE yet what I'm doing (lol), they seem to be working well.

I bought Windsor and Newton Sansodor instead of Gamsol, on advice from another friend...and LOVE it! It's just loverly to see those pigments moving around...:cute: I'm new to this, can you tell?? I feel a bit like a little kid in grade school with a new coloring book. :rolleyes:

Erin K
02-11-2007, 12:38 AM
So I looked at my stumps and they are China and I love them. I went to get more and found a new difference to worry over, Some were rolled funny, you could see the paper rolls and they were sorta hollow in the middle I think they were rolled looser, some were super tight and not hallow in the middle at all. So I went back home with nuthing to look at all mine again, I had some of each so I tried them and you want the ones that are rolled super tight, you can barely or not even tell that they are rolled paper. The other ones just fall apart and generally sink. :)

Deborah
02-15-2007, 06:49 PM
So I bought the 48 pencil set, then I decided (a couple of days later) that I "needed" the 120 pencil set. So here's my first effort, using Winsor and Newton Sansodor.

http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3529&ppuser=258

I think I'm liking this technique.

A lot.

Thanks for your inspiration! Please tell me what you think.

Deborah.

Erin K
02-15-2007, 06:52 PM
So did you return your 48 set or are you rocking 168 pencils now?? Your coloring is fantastic.

JustAnsa
03-06-2008, 04:18 PM
So I bought the 48 pencil set, then I decided (a couple of days later) that I "needed" the 120 pencil set. So here's my first effort, using Winsor and Newton Sansodor.

http://stamp-shack.com/photopost/showphoto.php?photo=3529&ppuser=258

I think I'm liking this technique.

A lot.

Thanks for your inspiration! Please tell me what you think.

Deborah.

so...........lol
did you go buy the bigger set?
I think Im going to end up doing the same thing.
I JUST bought the 48 set...and Im thinking I really like this..and more colors would be better. I HATE sharpening all them dang pencils though.
Can I use my ELECTRIC pencil sharpener...or do I really need to stick to the little silver one in the kit?
ansa

Gina K.
03-06-2008, 08:53 PM
Hi guys,
Just an FYI:
Stumps and tortillions are not the same thing. If it's rolled paper, it's a tortillion. If it's pressed paper, it's a stump. It's better to use stumps than tortillions for this technique. See my photos. The one with lots of them are the stumps. The single is the tortillion. :)
Hugs,
Gina K.

MnMommy2
03-07-2008, 01:12 AM
I use the Sansodor also, not sure what stumps I am using, but it seems to be working. I only have a small set of Prismacolors, so a larger set is on my wishlist.

scrapbookqueen
03-22-2008, 01:52 PM
were do you get the stumps at Im using qtips and they suck.
I use baby oil for mine.

scrapbookqueen
03-27-2008, 04:15 PM
I just got the 12 set,. I would like more but man they are so expensive

JBgreendawn
03-27-2008, 06:02 PM
I just got the 12 set,. I would like more but man they are so expensive

I bought the 120 box on ebay ( for my self last year) and my best friend a month ago for 54.00 ( plus you know 9.00 for flat rate shipping) so, check around. I'm pretty sure that is less expensive then buying them at a big chain craft store with a coupon.

you can get the stumps in any of the craft stores in the isle where the artist supplies are usually.
hth,

mcourtney
03-27-2008, 06:33 PM
I use the stumps. I keep several of those giant emeryboards you get at the dollar store around and lightly sand the color off the stump.

Tantalize
03-27-2008, 11:08 PM
Holy tomoly!!! The original post is over a year old...