PDA

View Full Version : No gamsol nearby... need advice...

Whoopsie Daisy!
02-11-2007, 05:34 PM
I have searched high and low for gamsol or mineral spirits... none at any of the M's or local art supply stores. I read through the threads and saw that some have used alternatives. Should I try to alternatives or go with an online order with Inky Antics? Or do you have other stores / sites that you would recommend?

Or is there another way to blend Prismacolor without using the chemicals?

Thanks!
Jane

teabear
02-11-2007, 05:49 PM
I don't have any, Jane. I think that Linzy is selling some here for $4...you might check craft items for sale.

Whoopsie Daisy!
02-11-2007, 05:52 PM
I totally missed that thread! Thanks, Tami! :laugh:

Swanie78
02-11-2007, 05:59 PM
I bought a bottle of Mona Lisa Odorless Mineral Spirits at Michaels. If you cant get some from Linzy, let me know and Ill pick you up a bottle and just put it in with your stamps when I mail those. :) Its $4.99 from a small bottle and I cant see using it all up in my lifetime by just using it with prismacolors...lol

michelle328
02-11-2007, 06:42 PM
You can also check in hobby shops, where they sell stuff for model trains. They also sell "odorless mineral spirits". The brand doesn't matter. You could even use regular mineral spirits (used to clean paint brushes) but the fumes wouldn't be good for you at all. I think I've even seen the stuff at Ace and/or other hardware stores.

HTH
Michelle

Erin K
02-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Hey someone posted that they used baby oil and it worked, and I saw that on an art show, you should try it!

Whoopsie Daisy!
02-11-2007, 07:54 PM
I really appreciate all this advice! Thanks!
I'm going to make a run back to the hobby store and check out the model vehicle area. I didn't think to look there.

Our M's doesn't carry the mineral oil, unless it's under another name... like turpentine? Or Blending solution for watercolors?

And Kelly, the check is out in the mail.. should get to you in a few days. Thanks for your offer! I'll take you up on it if I can't find something on this end.

Jane

Deborah
02-12-2007, 01:06 AM
I use Windsor and Newton Sansodor...available at Michael's...works like a charm.

Whoopsie Daisy!
02-12-2007, 02:24 AM
Thank you, Deborah!

buggainok
02-12-2007, 10:19 AM
Prismacolor makes a blending pencil that you can buy separately at Michaels. I have one and have used it sometimes. It works better than no shading at all.

I have some of the mineral spirits but haven't ventured to try that technique yet.

laos348
02-12-2007, 04:21 PM
I use the baby oil and have been happy with that so far.

Laura

lisaguyon
02-12-2007, 04:35 PM
I use the blending pencil that they sell at M's and love it. Plan to try the baby oil and Gamasol too though just to see how they work. lisa

Wife2TJ
02-14-2007, 08:56 AM
I've used baby oil and it works great! I'm going to buy some gamsol from Lindsey and see which I like better.

Whoopsie Daisy!
02-14-2007, 05:24 PM
Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I will keep trying with the pencil later today. I have baby oil too, so I'll try that out as well.

Jane