PDA

View Full Version : I have my shaving cream out and I am experimenting with alcohol inks

iloveflipflops
10-30-2006, 10:22 AM
mixed with it for a pretty background. It does work but you have to lose alot more of it than you do than re-inkers. I think I like re-inkers better :).

For those of who haven't tried the great shaving cream technique, this is what I do: I use a regular old cookie sheet but you can also use a paper plate. I like the cookie sheet because you can spread it all over and you have plenty of room to work with it. Then squirt a big blob of shaving cream on the cookie sheet or the paper plate. Just use regular shaving cream, the cheaper the better is what i have heard. Do not use gel kind. Then I add a drop or two of any color re-inker to it and I use 2-3 colors to get a really neat effect. Swirl around with a regular knife. Now I think you can use glossy cardstock and regular cardstock but i never have any glossy on hand so I am using regular cardstock. Just dip your paper in it until its covered. You can take a knife or an old credit card and scrape the excess shaving cream off. Then leave to dry. It doesn't take long at all, sometimes I even take a paper towel and wipe off any excess too.

That's about it. That is your background :). Cool huh? I will make up a few today and put them in the gallery later. The kids are off school today so we'll see if I have to run them here and there... ha ha

inkinupstamps
10-30-2006, 10:30 AM
I don't have any reinkers...only alcohol inks. I've never tried this but have always thought it looked really cool. What didn't you like about using the alcohol inks? I'm just curious because I don't have any reinkers so I'll have to use my alcohol ink.

lost luggage
10-30-2006, 10:31 AM
OMG!! What a technique! You guys think of everything...The only thing I can think of is that my card would come out smelling like my dad. LOL!

iloveflipflops
10-30-2006, 10:33 AM
it just you have to use a few more drops than the re-inkers. Like with the re-inkers you use literally 1 drop per color and with the alcohol inks i was using more so it would show up bold enough.

Try it, you'll like it :). As Mikey would say with his Life cereal. ha ha

HeatherID
10-30-2006, 10:36 AM
That is so much fun - and so much easier than trying to do "traditional" marbling.

And, in a pinch, you can even use food coloring... :)

Heather

inkinupstamps
10-30-2006, 10:48 AM
I'm thinking that this might make a pretty snow background. Or at least sort of look like snow (perhaps mixing a bit of blue and maybe a tad of glitter?) and then using a snowman stamp for the image.

I'm just thinking outloud, but I've always wanted to try this.

Oh, one more question...is it better on glossy cs or regular?:confused:

Erin K
10-30-2006, 10:56 AM
Jennifer,
I've only ever done it on regular cardstock and it worked just fine.

Also if you get flavored shaving cream your card will smell, so that's fun too. :)

cahinton
10-30-2006, 10:58 AM
I haven't tried this technique, but I would like to. I saw the neatest halloween background done with shaving cream and inks a while back on Two peas in a Bucket. It was done in a nice soft green and mandarine orange. Sherri, this might be a good idea for a swap!

Carol

inkinupstamps
10-30-2006, 10:59 AM
I think if you stamp a nautical image, then you should use old spice shaving cream!:D

lost luggage
10-30-2006, 11:02 AM
Also if you get flavored shaving cream your card will smell, so that's fun too. :)

They make flavored shaving cream? I can only think of barbesol...lol!

Erin K
10-30-2006, 11:06 AM
I mean scented, not flavored, yea they do make it, flowery ones, old spice like Jennifer said (which I think is the best scent for a man ever) Imean most are mannish scents, but still... Anyhow whatever it smells like your card will, so if you don't want smelly cards get unscented. :)

lost luggage
10-30-2006, 11:08 AM
I mean scented, not flavored, yea they do make it, flowery ones, old spice like Jennifer said (which I think is the best scent for a man ever) Imean most are mannish scents, but still... Anyhow whatever it smells like your card will, so if you don't want smelly cards get unscented. :)

I knew what you meant....but you're making me nervous.. Alex, Mandy, Old Spice? lol

Erin K
10-30-2006, 11:47 AM
If we could arrange Mandy in a flannel wearing old spice I might leave my husband! hehe

teabear
10-30-2006, 12:17 PM
I used luna lights paints which are shimmery paints on glossy cardstock. The more you swirl the paint around the better. It might work with acrylic paints, too.

mydogstinks2
10-30-2006, 12:53 PM
I can't wait to try this!!

stampcrazyjulie
10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
Ok, if you can do it I guess that I can too! I better go dig out the Shaving Cream. Since my DH doesn't use it very often, I think I have about 7 or 8 cans! I am just afraid of ruining my cardstock. Maybe I'll use the cheap stuff first just in case!