PDA

View Full Version : Rock 'n Roll!

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-12-2006, 08:45 PM
I am so hooked on this technique! There's a sample of it in the gallery. It's the Eggplant & Old Olive Snowflake card in the Christmas section.

If you haven't tried this yet, give it a go and post what you come up with.

Take a stamp and ink it up with a light colored ink pad. The press the edges of the stamp on a darker ink pad... rolling it around (avoid inking up the middle). Rock and roll, baby!

A variant is to use the same ink pad for this. Ink up the stamp well and kiss it once to a scrap paper and then use the same ink pad and rock the edge of the stamp on it. You should be able to see "shading".

** be sure to use the light ink pad first and dark ink pad last**
** wipe the stamp off as you go if the 2nd color is considerably darker than the first... you don't want traces of the dark in on that light ink pad! **

Let me know what you think!!

Jane

cindi
10-12-2006, 10:08 PM
going to have to try this!! Sounds great:)

so-muchlove
10-12-2006, 11:07 PM
I did it at one of Jane's hostess club meetings!! :) I will probably try it again!!

Hugs,
Lisa

GrammaStamper
10-12-2006, 11:12 PM
Is there a particular style of stamp that this technique works best with? I saw Eggplant & Olive Snowflake and it's really lovely. Seems like some styles of stamps would be better than others.

Barb

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-13-2006, 01:42 AM
Good question.

I found that stamps with wide areas like the snowflakes or flowers work really well. Especially to start off. It takes some practice. And be warned that the edges of your woodblock will get stained some.

I have done this with thinner images as well, such as Christmas trees and the giraffe from "Wild About You" set. I'll try to get my "Happy Everything" card uploaded into the gallery. The Christmas trees were a bit tricky. You have to peek under the stamp while you press the edges onto the ink pad. Same with the giraffe and alligator. The elephant was a little easier to work with because there's more area to the stamp.

I found it easier to do this technique by holding the stamp pad in one hand and using the other hand to hold the stamp and rock 'n roll.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Jane

teabear
10-13-2006, 02:15 AM
but I'm not sure I get the roll part. Are you literally rolling the stamp on it's side sort of? I will have to play with it. I wondered how you made that card...thanks for the info.

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-13-2006, 02:42 AM
Let me see if I can explain the "roll" part a little better. I have to think about this....

Ok... try this.
You press the edges of your stamp in a "rolling" motion. Imagine a stamp of a circle. Let's say you stamp it all in pink and you want the outer edge of the circle to be purple. So you roll the edge of the circle stamp around on the purple ink pad to create a purple rim on the circle stamp. If you want more shading, then you press a little more on the edges of the stamp as you rock it around the ink pad.

Does that make sense?

Jane

lost luggage
10-13-2006, 10:51 AM
easier on thinner stamps if you took the ink to the stamp instead of the stamp to the ink? (That made me dizzy. lol)

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-13-2006, 06:01 PM
I found myself tilting my head to one side to get the picture. I'm sure it works that way too. Most techniques are perfected thru trial and errors. Give it a go and let us know how you made it work for you!

I love your quote "I do all my stunts"... cute.

Jane

teabear
10-13-2006, 07:22 PM
I think I get it. I'm gonna try to get some stamping in later this weekend. I'll post my experiments :)
Tami

Whoopsie Daisy!
10-14-2006, 03:18 AM
I just came back from a crop night where I demo'd. There were a lot of newbie stampers, so I demo'd the 2 color Rock & Roll technique, but had them try it out using just one ink pad. They made tags using snowflakes with Night of Navy. I had them ink up the snowflake and then kiss it once to a scrap paper. Then they inked up the edges of the snowflake with the same ink pad. The result was very pretty.

Jane

Lisa
10-14-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm putting this on my top priority list to try
will post later when I come up with a card!
Lisa