PDA

View Full Version : Help with inks and inkpads

Jadyeebugsaunt
11-01-2006, 03:35 PM
Ok ladies,
I have been stamping for 6 years but when it come to the different kinds of ink I'm a dummy. I have SU and CTMH pads and versamark , stazon, and I just picked up versafine for sherry's stamp, I have colorbox chalks but Ihardly ever use them . If you can explain what the different inks are for and how to use them . I would really apprieciate because I would love to ink up on my stamping skills and knowledge.
TIA,
Mindy

lost luggage
11-01-2006, 03:36 PM
I can't even remember what CTMH stands for...I am looking forward to reading the responses to your question. :)

Jadyeebugsaunt
11-01-2006, 03:38 PM
I can't even remember what CTMH stands for...I am looking forward to reading the responses to your question. :)
CTMH stamnds for close to my heart the stamp company.
Mindy

mcourtney
11-01-2006, 03:54 PM
Here's a site that will give you the basics.

http://www.artwithoutanxiety.com/inkinfo.html

HTH

Erin K
11-01-2006, 04:04 PM
Ok, I'm sure someone much clever than me is gonna come along with a website that is much better than me, but I'll give it a whirl. If I say anything wrong just correct me it won't hurt my feelings:

CMTH and SU inks are both dye based inks, they dry fast and are great for general stamping although they cannot be embossed on. I believe I've heard that CMTH's fomula works a bit better with the clear stamps.
** you CAN use your dye inks to emboss with this tip, take your versamark ink or other embossing ink and ink your stamp up, then ink it right on top with your favorite color of dye ink and stamp, you will basicly have two layers of ink, one that is a color of your choice and one that is clear and will hold your powder. I've done it bunches and it doesn't seem to hurt my inkpads at all.

The chalk inks I believe are pigment, but whatever they are they give a very matte finish. They are lovely especially for bold images where you are not coloring them in, you know let the ink be the color..

I actually use my black versafine all the time, it's my favorite, it can stand up to watercoloring and I do tons of that, the ink seems to really last forever too. (no refills avaliable though)

Pigment inks are archival If you want them to be waterproof though you will need to emboss them.

Stewart makes a line of palette inks that are "hybrid" a cross between pigment and dye, this is what I have for most of my colors and I like them, you can emboss with them but you gotta be quick. I usually use the versamark trick. This is also permenant on most surfaces, you can even use it on glass and stuff.. but I usually will use the stazon, because it dries faster. The palette doesn't work on every single surface, trial and error here.

I don't buy embossing ink at all, you can use versamark and I have that and love it. Embossing inks will amost never dry if you don't emboss them, so they are not quiet as versital as the versamark.

Versamark is watermark ink, makes a cool watermark look on non-coated cardstock. Can be used to make a resist on glossy (although I personally haven't had success with this unless I emboss with clear) You can apply chalk over it too and the chalk will stick to the ink and be really cool.

Stazon is a solvent ink, It's permenant on most surfaces. It's also dries fast on paper. I find it's not very juicy in the pad, so you want to make sure you have your image well inked before putting it down. You can use this on glass, plastic or metal.

that's all I know off the top of myhead

Erin K
11-01-2006, 04:08 PM
Here's a site that will give you the basics.

http://www.artwithoutanxiety.com/inkinfo.html

HTH

What did I tell you? I knew someone would find a great site!

suzi_f
11-01-2006, 05:21 PM
Erin, thanks for all the info. I feel very informed now. However, I purchased a Versamagic pad last week. Can ANYONE tell me where this falls & what it's good for. I went looking for Versafine for the Santa stamp (which hasn't made it to the midwest yet :( and found this instead. It says its a multisurface chalk in & it's good for detailed stamps. Oh yeah, it says it's fast drying but it LIES!

kerry
11-01-2006, 08:35 PM
I can't believe they don't have it. It is ESSENTIAL!!! I love it because it is the best for fine/detailed stamps. It is the most used ink in my ink supply.

Versamagic is not the same. I have some Versamagic and it is more powdery and not "sticky" like the Versafine. I believe Versamagic is good for stamping on those tiles everyone seems to be stamping on. I use mine occaisionally but I really don't care for it that much and there are other inks that can replace it.

Rubber Stamper came out with an ink list with all the inks and what they are used for. I think they also posted it on their website because it was so popular. I have the list in one of my magazines and if someone would like it, I can try to scan it and email it to people. It is quite helpful. I checked out the RS website and it is no longer there.

Kerry

stampcrazyjulie
11-01-2006, 11:28 PM
Wow, Erin you really know your stuff! Thanks Ladies for the info & links! See, now I know why I love this site! :)

BeckyButtshaw
11-02-2006, 10:44 AM
Wow! You guys are so smart! Hey Kerry-if you find that list, I would love a copy. Thanks