PDA

View Full Version : I just don't know what to do and need some feedback please!

tojoco
03-21-2007, 03:45 PM
I'm sure you all know I've been looking for a new job for a couple of months now. I've been sending in applications and resumes and have been on a few interviews.

This morning I had an interview with a really nice guy from Macy's Department Store which is opening up in Collierville next month. I had applied for the store secretary position a while back but received a call telling me the job had already been filled. Well, this past Monday, I get a call asking me to come in for another interview for a Signage Associate. (What the heck is that?) Anyway, to make a long story short (sort of) I went in and the job sounds "okay". It is a part-time position from 6:00 am to 10:00 am Monday thru Friday, actually setting up all the signs in the department before the store opens for the day. Some weeks I'd have to work weekends. THE PAY IS PIDDLY and I said I wouldn't take another standing job for piddly pay BUT the hours are great because I'd be home after 10:00 am every day plus I would have my foot in the door in case anything opens up in the back office.

So, do I take this job knowing I'd have a permanent p/t position with piddly pay (no increases for at least a year) AND a possible chance at what I really want to do OR do I hold out and continue to apply to other places where I can work on a computer in an office -- one of my loves?

Any advise would be appreciated because I am on the fence with this one. DH is no help; he just said it's something you need to ponder. Duh, thanks a lot! DS said don't take it because you can make more money than that.

I just know you girls will help me decide. Thanks in advance.:worried: :worried: :worried:

p.s. I have a second interview scheduled with the General Manager of Macy's tomorrow at 2:30 pm and don't know if I should cancel it or not.

GrammaStamper
03-21-2007, 03:58 PM
"A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush." Take the job and keep on looking while you're working only til 10 a.m. You better believe employers always over-hire when a new store opens so that they can choose the cream of the crop. They (large employers) have no qualms about tying up people's time to assess them and then letting the poor ones go.

So, do what the big guys do, take the job, get your foot in the door and keep looking! I've done that before and it's okay to look out for number 1, YOU!

kulakid
03-21-2007, 04:02 PM
I was going to say something similar to what Barb said - take it, and keep looking! This way you are in if you want to be, but you also have the power to say "no thanks, I found something better!!!" :cool:

Good luck whatever you decide!!!:cute:

flyingflower
03-21-2007, 04:07 PM
go to the interview - and tell the general manager what your goal is!

Motivate folks get noticed!

hbpuppy
03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I agree that taking it sounds like a good idea for now. But, here's how I would handle the second interview: Go in looking like an executive. Wear a suit, nylons, nice shoes, and carry a briefcase. Look like you are super important. Act confident. Make eye contact. Smile. Maybe they will hire you for a better position. I know of several instances where this has happened to me and my friends. Convince yourself that you deserve better before you can convince anyone else. Oh, and no pastels if possible. Look strong and bold. Good luck.

Nadine
03-21-2007, 04:10 PM
I'll tell you my story about taking a piddly job, also in retail. I figured I'd take it and keep looking, so I did. I started as a cashier and the pay was awful but it was better than the job that I had left at a call centre. Anyway, I worked cash for a month and they promoted me to cash supervisor. A slight increase in pay, but nothing to write home about. That went on for a while and they moved me to the floor to work with customers, another pay increase. Finally I went to receiving and received another pay increase. 6 years later I now work at the head office in a position I never even would have dreamed of having but absolutely love. Would I have ever thought about retail as a career? No. But I'm glad I gave it a shot!

So after that long story I guess my answer is yes! Try it out and see if you like it. It's definetly a foot in the door!

kerry
03-21-2007, 04:12 PM
I agree with Margo...I wouldn't accept that other position until after that meeting and after really thinking how it would make me feel about doing the "piddly" job. I would let them know about your goals and really stress your qualifications. It seems to me that they can get anyone to do that other job.

Kerry

directmailscrapper
03-21-2007, 04:14 PM
Go on your interview tomorrow. And I agree with the other posts -- you would be taking a new job that leaves you plenty of time and opportunity to keep looking! Believe me, in the real world, people take jobs and keep looking all the time -- at all levels.

Good luck! Nancy

emmcee
03-21-2007, 04:23 PM
I'm with the rest, go fo your interview, take the job if you like, and keep looking, and you may just wow them, and you move right into the office! :)

ellie
03-21-2007, 04:49 PM
I agree with the girls. You never know where it will lead and if you find it's a dead end, you can leave without loosing too much.

Sherry
03-21-2007, 04:51 PM
I'm on board with the rest of the Shackies. Take the interview and let the boss know your ultimate goal.

workin4stamps
03-21-2007, 05:13 PM
Do you like shopping at Macy's??? Sounds like a great opportunity for an employee discount!!! The hours are great!!! I say GO FOR IT!! What's the worst that can happen? you hate it and you quit later??? LOL

I would also ask for a little more money. It never hurts to ask, and if you ask they just might give it to you.

Traci

scrappinnuts
03-21-2007, 05:17 PM
I agree with everyone about taking the job..but be carefull about telling the Manager too much Info about your goals..he may take it like the job he is offering is not good enough for you..Look like a million that goes along way. Good luck!

Vintagegal
03-21-2007, 05:47 PM
Hmmmm......I must be the only person who would say "Don't take the job and keep looking." Here's why:

1) Don't sell yourself short. You are overqualified for that position, and you KNOW it.
2) If you take the job and quit two months later, it will show that you have no stability. You jump from job to job when you feel that you're bored with it, or just don't feel like working there anymore. It will potentially make you look wishy-washy.

Have you considered going with a temp agency? Recently, I signed on (it's free) with a temp agency, and they had a ton of temp-to-hire positions. I took a typing test, a powerpoint and excel test, and a data entry test. Then, I told them what I was looking for, what kind of hours I wanted (this includes retail positions, by the way), and then they did the job hunting for me WHILE I was still looking for a permanent position.

I was offered a temp job, four hours a day (10 a.m. - 2 p.m.) at Creighton University. It was a 3-week job and paid $12/hour. It was so easy and they didn't expect too much of me because they knew I was a temp. BUT ......while I was there, the Chairman of the Department of Education took notice of me, as did her former secretary (who had moved to another department). Within one week of being at Creighton University, the Department Chair wanted to interview me for the position of Senior Admin Assitant in her office. So....in other words, explore the option of signing up with a temp agency. The assigments are temporary, and they will ALLOW you to go to job interviews if you need to. You can always refuse an assignment too, and you can ask them to seek for temp-to-hire positions.

While I was Creighton, I interviewed for an HR position with another company, and was offered a job there. I ended up declining the interview with the Department Chair, and now I'm gainfully employed in a position that I'm enjoying.

Sorry to be long-winded, but I think you owe it to yourself not to sell yourself short, and think about going with a temp agency while you're still job hunting for something permanent.

tojoco
03-21-2007, 05:52 PM
You girls are the best. You all made me look at this from different perspectives. After I posted, I went to lie down and think about it and I convinced myself that I was better than this and would not take the job. After all, I did walk into the interview with confidence, dressed like I was in administration, opened up my portfolio and took notes. The manager was impressed by my cover letter and told me that was why he called me. Maybe this is why they want to try to get me on board and headed for bigger and better things. I'm still not sure what I'll do but I'm going to sleep on it tonight -- that is, if I can sleep!

Thanks for all your help.

Vintagegal
03-21-2007, 05:56 PM
Good luck, Joanne! I know it's hard, but whatever you decide, I know, will be the best for you.

mahodgman
03-21-2007, 07:59 PM
I'm not so sure I'd take the job either, but I probably would go to the second interview just for the opportunity to talk about bigger and better things.

teabear
03-21-2007, 08:44 PM
Sounds like you have a handle on it now, Joanne. I hope the right opportunity presents itself soon.

toao
03-21-2007, 10:08 PM
go to the interview - and tell the general manager what your goal is!

Motivate folks get noticed!

It's not going to hurt anything to go to the other interview. Just be honest with the GM. I'm sure they will appreciate it.

Mary

Christie
03-23-2007, 09:18 AM
Well be sure to keep us posted on what you decide to do!