PDA

View Full Version : Card creating question

tojoco
03-30-2007, 04:52 PM
When you sit down at your crafting table and pull out your stamps and inkpads, do you normally create one specific card for someone and then put all your supplies back where they belong or do you try to create as many cards as you can? Do you use one stamp set or do you try to design different cards with different stamps?

I have so many stamps I have yet to use but find it difficult when I'm working on cards to come up with new designs for the different stamps; therefore, I have many brand new stamps not used and I keep buying more. Does anyone have a secret to using their new stamps?:wacko:

kerry
03-30-2007, 05:07 PM
I'm aweful! I just take things out and never seem to put anything back. My crafting table is in desperate need of cleaning up!!!

PS...I just make things, I usually make two of each thing, no theme really unless I have a specific need. This weekend my specific need is to work on a swap so I'll have to get on the ball and think about what I'm going to need for that.

When I prepare for a class I'm teaching, I make a sample then prepare the supplies (in a basket) of all the things I need...I make sure I have everything about five times before I leave. At my first class, I forgot my double stick tape and some primas for a project and I was just mortified!!!

Kerry

kerry
03-30-2007, 05:08 PM
For my newest stamps (mostly unmounted), I keep them in a small plastic container with a lid on my crafting table. I go to those first, then to my older stamps. I've found if I have the new ones in sight, I use them more.

Kerry

ellie
03-30-2007, 06:00 PM
I am just hopeless. Last night I finished up a basket of card candy and then started on a card before I put everything else away. I wish I could be better at being organized. Right now, there is not room for a dime on my table.

directmailscrapper
03-30-2007, 06:21 PM
It takes me so long to figure out what I'm going to make -- once I do I make a BUNCH of them! Like the 3 panel flower card I made for the Virtual Swap -- I think I made 8 or 9 of them! Then I use them for Bday cards or Thinking of You cards. The stamps I am least likely to use are SU -- because I have too much work to do to get ready to use them!

ccstampin12
03-30-2007, 07:00 PM
I usually make 6-8 of each card. You're right, it takes a while to get the design all worked out....after spending all that time, I want to make it worth while!
I always have enough extra pattern paper to make the extra cards.
I then put everything away in anticipation of the next project. I didn't put away my Prismas tonight, and I feel guilty!
LOL
Joanie

mahodgman
03-30-2007, 07:04 PM
I don't think I have a system. Usually before I start, I've got some kind of idea big or small. The idea might just be that I want to use a particular stamp or embellishment. I rarely have a whole card idea in mind before getting started. Then, I start with that particular stamp or embellishment in front of me and start collecting papers and inks and it kind of evolves from there. I don't make multiples until after I've completed one whole card. I always make extra swap cards to have on hand.

tojoco
03-30-2007, 07:07 PM
Thanks a good idea, Mary. I never do make extra swap cards to keep but I might have to do that now.

Patty
03-30-2007, 07:24 PM
Boy do we all sound alike! I have to have some kind of idea to begin with. Then I gather all the stuff. Sometimes that's all I do in one sitting. Then I come back and I can get right to work. Other times I'll get the ideas while I'm trying to fall asleep (or in work when I'm not paying attention) and it all falls together. In any case, I try to make more than one as long as I'm at it. I put most stuff away--otherwise I'm always hunting for something. If I get frustrated than I might as well quit. Yes, I've spent MANY dollars and have many stamps that have never touched ink. I also have more paper than I could ever live to use---AND I STILL WANT MORE!!! I also find I have the best ideas when I cannot sit and stamp --- then I can't remember everything!:laugh:

loobylou
03-30-2007, 07:31 PM
I usually start with a person or occasion in mind, but then I get distracted, maybe by a paper,stamp or an embellishment and go crazy making cards with them for a few hours. I am the opposite to Nancy- when I get my SU stamps i have to mount them and use them right away. I usually go surfing the net, draw some sketches and then make about 5 cards.
Sarah

buggainok
03-30-2007, 07:50 PM
I haven't been at this very long, so when I get a new stamp or tool, I generally am excited about it. I usually get everything out and make several cards with my new things.

I can be inspired by the stamp, or by new paper, it depends. I usually have an occasion in mind, but not always.

I don't have a dedicated crafting spot, and keep all my stuff in various boxes and plastic bins in my spare bedroom. It is quite a project to drag everything out, so I generally make quite a few cards at a time.

Artyfarty
03-31-2007, 05:28 AM
I too get the ideas down then once cut to fit page I play around til I feel its right then only then do I glue..but I only make 1 card then put everything away..... well sort of lol
Stamps... I tend to buy buy and buy then only use a couple and forget what i've bought for months.

Sue

teabear
03-31-2007, 11:17 AM
I tend to create in fits & starts. Once I get going I can make quite a mess and end up with 10 or 20 items. Sometimes I make multiples, but often they are one of a kinds. I like to challenge myself to use a certain color, product, or stamp. I do have some stamps that have yet to be inked up....guess that might be a new challenge for myself. I do not clean up everything after each project, but I do clean my stamps right away everytime. My table is pretty messy right now since I made a set of swap cards late last night, and I'll clean it up before the next project.