PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone read Nineteen Minutes by Jodi Picoult?

edie3
04-07-2007, 01:29 AM
A great book, as most of her's are.

shuggy
04-07-2007, 01:30 AM
what's it about?

loobylou
04-07-2007, 01:41 AM
She is one of my favourite Authors- but i don't recall reading this title- is it a new one?
Sarah

edie3
04-07-2007, 01:50 AM
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. Bestseller Picoult (My Sister's Keeper) takes on another contemporary hot-button issue in her brilliantly told new thriller, about a high school shooting. Peter Houghton, an alienated teen who has been bullied for years by the popular crowd, brings weapons to his high school in Sterling, N.H., one day and opens fire, killing 10 people. Flashbacks reveal how bullying caused Peter to retreat into a world of violent computer games. Alex Cormier, the judge assigned to Peter's case, tries to maintain her objectivity as she struggles to understand her daughter, Josie, one of the surviving witnesses of the shooting. The author's insights into her characters' deep-seated emotions brings this ripped-from-the-headlines read chillingly alive. (Mar.)
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

From Booklist (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/subst/partners/marketing/booklist.html/)
Popular and prolific Picoult (My Sister's Keeper, and The Tenth Circle , 2006) now tackles the troubling topic of a school shooting. Picoult considers the tragedy--in 19 quick minutes, 10 are dead and 19 are wounded--from several different perspectives, including that of the shooter, a troubled boy named Peter, who was mercilessly picked on at school. The small town of Sterling is rocked by the carnage. Alex Cormier is the superior court judge planning to hear the case, but her daughter, Josie, Peter's only friend during childhood but now a member of the in crowd, was in the midst of the melee. Peter spared Josie, but killed her boyfriend. Two characters from previous Picoult novels are also involved. Charismatic detective Patrick DuCharme rushes into the school and apprehends Peter, and Jordan McAfee agrees to defend the young killer. Every bit as gripping and moving as Picoult's previous novels, Nineteen Minutes will no doubt garner considerable attention for its controversial subject and twist ending. Kristine Huntley
Copyright © American Library Association. All rights reserved

http://ec1.images-amazon.com/images/G/01/x-locale/common/orange-arrow.gif See all Editorial Reviews (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/product-description/0743496728/sr=8-1/qid=1175924517/ref=dp_proddesc_0/002-2829264-1724020?ie=UTF8&n=283155&s=books&qid=1175924517&sr=8-1)

edie3
04-07-2007, 01:51 AM
the best part of all is my best friend went to a book signing and got me an autographed copy for my birthday.

MyRnAbS
04-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Ok I just got this book downloaded onto my palm treo, now I'm wondering which other book is good. I see she has many, which other ones do you recommend? TFS!

moosemama
04-07-2007, 07:17 AM
I have read a couple of her books, The Pact(I think) and another one-Mercy. My daughter has read a couple of them too. I haven't gotten Nineteen minutes and I notice at our library most of her books are always checked out!

mydogstinks2
04-07-2007, 07:22 AM
Sounds like a great book. I have never read any of her books before. I'm going to be on the look out for them next time I go to the library.

stampcrazyjulie
04-07-2007, 09:29 PM
I actually just got it from the Library yesterday along with The Pact! I just read My Sister's Keeper last month, & LOVED it.

ctinyjoy
04-07-2007, 10:12 PM
I have this on hold at our library. I saw it Walmart, read the inside cover then came home and logged into the library system. You would think with DH working there I would have an "in", but no, I am stuck on the waiting list. I also put Maeve Binchy's new one on hold.

MyRnAbS
04-07-2007, 10:17 PM
I'm so loving that ninteen minutes!! I'm hooked! I'm so glad you all enabled me to read from a new author (to me at least) I was sort of stuck with Stephen king, Anne Rice and Danielle Steel!! Dull life, I know!! Danielle steel seems to write the same thing over and over and over!!! I love this newfound author!!

edie3
04-08-2007, 01:28 PM
I was going to recommend The Pact and My Sisters Keeper. Oh, how I cried at the end of My Sisters Keeper.

MyRnAbS
04-08-2007, 09:43 PM
edie3,
Thank you so much for the recommendations I will look those thru as soon as I finish reading the Nineteen minutes. Thanks!!

edie3
04-09-2007, 05:26 PM
And if you like Jodi Picoult, read Joy Fielding! Especially The First TIme.

MyRnAbS
04-21-2007, 12:16 PM
I just have to say this. I finished reading Nineteen minutes on sunday 4-15-07, and I'm having mixed feelings about it. I didn't know what to make of it. I was feeling sorry for a particular boy I don't want to say anything in case you haven't read it. But on Monday something similar happened at VT, I'm wondering if that boy Cho read this book? I don't know why I'm just thinking so much about that. Will someone that's read it share with me? I don't know I'm just reading too much into this I guess. Do we get our silly ideas from reading books, hearing the news, etc....I'm so confused.

edie3
04-21-2007, 07:45 PM
I think the guy at Virginia Tech had severe mental problems, and the boy in the book was a victim of his environment, if that makes sense.

MyRnAbS
04-21-2007, 07:52 PM
edie3,
That makes perfect sense. I have been hearing on fox news lately that there is some sort of evidence linking the gunman of VT to have been bullied and laughed at. I think it boils down to the exact same thing as in the book. What if he did read that book, and got the courage? I know it can't be possible, but I'm just saying we never know. I'm just so very sad.

edie3
04-21-2007, 08:22 PM
Isn't it bizarre how the book came out, and now this. Scary, really.

MyRnAbS
04-21-2007, 11:27 PM
edie3,
I'm so sorry I hadn't noticed that you had answered me. Yes it is really bizarre!! That was what I really wanted to say from the start, but I couldn't find the correct wording. Anyhow, I'm giving up because we will never know what that boy was really thinking.