PDA

View Full Version : how do you keep your cards straight?

loobylou
04-18-2007, 08:08 AM
does anyone have a tip for keeping the sides of layers even (if that's your intention) and straight. I often have to pull cards apart cos it looks crooked, or the matt doesn't look even on all sides. Is there a foolproof method???
Sarah

Christie
04-18-2007, 08:12 AM
When it comes matting things I just eyeball it. Well when it comes to everything I eyeball it all! LOL! I do measure my cardstock but that's it! When it comes to measuring the pp, I usually turn it over and mark it with a pencil then cut on the pencil lines. I'm lazy maybe, but it works for me pretty well!

GrammaStamper
04-18-2007, 08:18 AM
If the mat is hanging over top, side and bottom, I just put it back in the cutter and trim. Usually all it needs is a tiny fraction of a trim and all is good. If I want the full card front matted, I make sure to line it up with the folded edge so that it can be trimmed, if necessary.

GSMom385
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I have a fiskars rotary cutting matt on my work table. They are normally used by quilters, but they have small squares with lines at different measures. The one I have is 1 inch, but I think you can buy them in 1/2 and 1/4 inch too. Anyway, I lay my card on there square and then use the lines above and below the card to line up elments on the card how I want them. If I want to be really sure I put a clear ruler over the card to match up the lines but most of the time I just visually line it up with the lines. Made a big difference in my work, and it was my Mom the quilters idea.

iloveflipflops
04-18-2007, 08:22 AM
I have to literally stand up and put my layers on straight. If I sit down, they go on crooked. Try that. LOL

emmcee
04-18-2007, 08:30 AM
I usually cut my pp for my card fronts 1/4" from the size of the card, and I measure also whatever else I put on card. My trimmer really gets a workout, but I usually eyeball the piece to make sure it's straight. It's the accounting issue I have. :eek:

tesschap
04-18-2007, 08:33 AM
Great tips! I also have a problem with this!