PDA

View Full Version : being a new stamper

justbusyscrappin
11-09-2006, 09:10 AM
I would like to start expanding my horizons. Thus far all I have done is stamp an image and color in with colored pencils or chalk. I would like to try embossing and am a bit frightened at what the final results will be ... probably all clumpy and ugly.
All of you experienced stampers what should I do ... the steps for embossing and then what should I use to color the images? have a feeling that colored pencils are just not good enough for an embossed image!
thanks for the assistance

becky

iloveflipflops
11-09-2006, 09:11 AM
Even though I have been stamping for about 5 years, I have only tried embossing once and it was a DISEASER with a capital D so i am very afraid of embossing powder being blown all over the place with my heat gun. ha ha

So you & I can try this together :).

laos348
11-09-2006, 09:25 AM
I haven't embossed in a while but you can get some lovely images that way. One thing I learned tha hard way - once you pour your powder on, you have time. Put the excess powder back into the jar/container before you use the heat gun otherwise powder will fly everywhere! (Ask me how I know :p )
I also usually use the eraser end of a pencil to hold the corner of the cardstock when blowing so my paper does blow all around the table.

To color in, you can use markers, pick up color with a blender pen or aqua pen or what really looks pretty is twinkling H2O's.

Laura

mahodgman
11-09-2006, 09:54 AM
Embossing is easy! Versamark is the best ink for embossing IMHO, and it is really sticky so you have plenty of time to get your powder on the image. I've never had a problem with powder blowing all around, but I have to get up from my work table to do my embossing. If your powder blows off the image when you put the heat tool to it, you can always heat from underneath the paper. That works too, and it doesn't warp the paper as bad as heating from on top of the image. My favorite way to color an embossed image is with markers either by themselves or with a blender pen. Give it a try!

workin4stamps
11-09-2006, 09:55 AM
I'm not really an embossing person much myself, so I don't know how much help I will be. I find that I hardly ever emboss anything. I do have a small booklet that you might find helpful though. It covers more than just embossing...it talks about various stamping techniques. If you pm me with your name and address I will be happy to send one out to you.

:-)
Traci

GrammaStamper
11-09-2006, 10:16 AM
Heat embossing is easy, ladies. I agree with Mary about the Versamark ink. Then sprinkle the power over the image. Tap off excess powder and return it to the jar. Then put the lid back on the jar and close it tight. Then take the heat gun and heat up the image. No powder blows anywhere and your image pops up beutifully. C'mon, try it and show us the results. YOU CAN DO IT!

mcourtney
11-09-2006, 10:19 AM
I don't emboss alot because my heat gun is buried under tons of junk...I mean supplies. But, here's what I've learned over the years. For embossing images, I use ultra fine embossing powder. First, I swipe the cardstock with an embossing buddy, then stamp the image, pour on the powder, pour off the excess, flip the card over and flick the back a couple of times to knock any loose powder off, then heat just until the embossing powder is melted. I usually stamp the image in colored pigment ink and use clear embossing powder. That way, if I have some stray EP on the cardstock, it won't show as much. For coloring embossed images, I usually use markers. If you prefer colored pencils or watercolor pencils, just be careful you don't chip the embossed EP off. I also put my EP in 6" x 4" plastic containers and spoon the EP on. ( I bought my fine EP in bulk) That helps to keep the EP in check. I found that a large coffee filter works best for catching excess EP if you are pouring it on because there's no static in it.

HTH :0)

justbusyscrappin
11-09-2006, 10:43 AM
I think this is going to be my project this weekend. I have decided that I need to try something new at least once a month to broaden my horizons and experience!

I will let you know if it was a success or disaster!

becky

lost luggage
11-09-2006, 10:58 AM
I used to hate embossing...now I love it and I do it a lot!

One thing I noticed....when i was comparing reviews while shopping for a heat tool, I noticed some users compalining about the powder blowing all over the place. I never have had this happen to me, but I think that maybe not all heat guns are created equally...PLUS it makes a big difference if you do not use the correct type of ink to hold the powder. :)

teabear
11-09-2006, 11:17 AM
Black is the hardest powder to work with for me, so I avoid it...too many stray specks. I use a very small paintbrush to swipe off stray specks of powder before I heat the image. If you emboss an image on colored cardstock, you can then bleach out inside the image with a mixture of bleach & water applied sparingly with a Q-tip. Be sure you are outside with the bleach...fumes. You can emboss an image with clear powder on white paper and then apply ink over it with a brayer or a sponge. The image that is embossed will resist the ink for a fun look. Sentiments look beautiful embossed in silver or gold on the inside or outside of the card. Have fun.

inkinupstamps
11-09-2006, 11:29 AM
Ok, for those who are new to embossing and don't know it already, there are different types of embossing powders to be used for different embossing projects, just as there are different inks and inkpads for different uses.

Off the top of my head I can think of three different types of embossing powder:
1.) Detail embossing powder :this is a finer powder than regular EP ( I DEFINITELY recommend this one!)

2.) Regular embossing powder (a sort of general purpose type EP to use on thicker line drawn images)

3.) UTEE - Ultra Thick Embossing Powder (this is really FUN to use but it is used entirely differently than Detail or Regular EP)

I enjoy embossing and do it a lot. Another advantage of embossing is that if you are going to use watercolours on your image, the EP helps contain the ink so that it doesn't run or bleed.

Also, I can't emphasize enough that detail EP will give you much more satisfactory results if you are embossing highly detailed images or small sentiments where you don't want it melting in large puddles.

Now...after you finish playing with heat embossing with embossing powder, you should try dry embossing with a stylist and brass (or other type) of stencil. And then of course you will want to try Embossing Paste! Oooooh, that is also really fun!

Welcome to the world of embossing. Nothing scary :eek: about it and it really gives your images a whole new look.:D

MidwestStamper
11-09-2006, 12:13 PM
Jennifer, can you talk a little more about Embossing Paste. This is the one thing that you mentioned that I'm not familiar with...and I want to be in the know!

I agree that embossing can be intimidating at first, but after I tried it and perfected my method--I love it! Good tips that have been mentioned are: tapping the paper to get rid of the excess powder; have a small brush to brush off the extra; and stepping away from your work area so that the heat gun doesn't blow away things that you don't want to have airborne. I always work right under a ceiling light so that I can see the powder melting on my image, and can tell when my image is 'done'.

Alli
11-09-2006, 12:38 PM
Really, don't be afraid of embossing, my 7 year old loves it! :D I do have a few tips though.
1. As with anything, buy the best you can afford, not all heat guns, embossing powder and inks are created equal. Either buy a brand you trust or ask a friend for recommendations, or come on here.
2. Use versamark as a new embosser, it makes life so much easier
3. Stay well away from black embossing powder, it is a nightmare
4. Buy an embossing buddy, it is a little bag filled with a chalk like substance that gets rid of any grease on your card that any ep could stick to
5. Learn to start handling the sides of cardstock, especially if you are embossing, your fingerprints are the main cause of embossing powder sticking where it shouldn't
6. Don't panic! You have plenty of time, versamark stays wet for a few minutes.
7. Don't waft your heat gun around. Turn the heat gun on, leave it a few seconds to heat up, then put your heat gun a few inches away from your image, keep it in one spot until that spot has melted and then slowly follow the shape of the image, melting the powder as you go. Don't keep moving your heat gun to the same spot, it is very easy for the ep to burn, so once it is melted don't go back.
8. You only really need white, gold, silver and clear. You can turn any color ink into an embossed image with clear and you don't see the clear if it has strayed.
9. If you only have dye ink, you can turn it into embossing ink by stamping on versamark first, then onto the dye pad and thenstamp the image, but make sure you clean your stamp afterwards.

Finally, just play until your happy, it's only a piece of card. Get yourself some cheap Walmart card to practise on. You use very little embossing powder, in 3 years I have only run out of one color and that is clear.

To color, you can use anything, watercolor pencils, watercolor crayons, markers, twinkling h2os, prismacolor pencils and gamsol, or it usually looks really elegant if you don't color it at all.
Please, if you need any more info, just ask! :)

inkinupstamps
11-09-2006, 02:05 PM
I love black detail powder and don't have a problem with it, so I'm not quite sure what the nightmare is that is being referred to.

teabear
11-09-2006, 02:43 PM
My black ep seems to always leave stray specks no matter what I do. Maybe I need a new jar. I think the old one has static in it. What kind do you use that you love?
Tami

inkinupstamps
11-09-2006, 03:03 PM
It is made by Stampendous and is called Stamp-n-stuff. But I only ever use the kind that says DETAIL BLACK. I've never been happy with too many of any of the regular embossing powders unless they are detail (which is finer).

lost luggage
11-09-2006, 03:46 PM
Finally, just play until your happy, it's only a piece of card. Get yourself some cheap Walmart card to practise on. You use very little embossing powder, in 3 years I have only run out of one color and that is clear.

Am I slow? I didn't realize Walmart was an international company.