PDA

View Full Version : ok, here is my next question

justbusyscrappin
11-09-2006, 10:46 AM
because some of you do not emboss (per my question earlier) what other technique do you suggest/reccommend for a beginner stamper to gain experience.
basically in what order do you suggest I try things. and what techniques are they?
There is a stroe here in town that gives basic card workshops but nothing with stamping. The stamp store here went out of business many years ago so I am treading the waters solo. Help!

becky

workin4stamps
11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
I'm not sure that there is any particular order in which you should try things.....I just try things out as I see them.

I think that you might enjoy finding a demo in your area for a rubber stamping company. There are 3 big ones, Stampin' Up!, Close to my Heart, and TAC. I am a demo for Stampin' Up!, and I hold 2 monthly stamp clubs in my house where I show people different techniques and ideas. If you go to www.stampinup.com, you can use the demo locator to find someone in your area. Then you can contact them and see if they offer any classes or clubs or workshops. They're a lot of fun!!

Hopefully some of the demos from some of the other stamp companies will pop on here and tell you how to find a local demonstrator from their company.

Or....if you're more of a self taught person, you can go here http://www.splitcoaststampers.com/resources/ to find some online tutorials that might be helpful. I would just look around, and pick whichever ones look interesting to you.

Good luck!
Traci

workin4stamps
11-09-2006, 10:56 AM
oh...I should add....before I became a demo, this is how I learned ALL of my techniques and stuff. I went to a local stamp club, and it was a lot of fun...and I learned a LOT!!!!

:-)
Traci

justbusyscrappin
11-09-2006, 10:59 AM
thank you for the advise. I will check it out and let you know what the results are.

becky

lost luggage
11-09-2006, 11:00 AM
or...if you have high speed internet and can't get out of hte house...try to google for online demos...that's how I've learned almost everything!

justbusyscrappin
11-09-2006, 11:02 AM
I love the turkey and another good suggestion ... guess I will be busy this weekend on-line

becky

michelle328
01-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Hi, Becky

For what it's worth, I think the best way to learn is to just get in there and "play". Sometimes your "mistakes" are fabulous! You'll find things you like and are good at and others you're not so crazy about, but that's the fun of it all. Any gallery is a great place for inspiration; you can see a technique and quite often there's directions for it. If not, sometimes you can be inspired to try to re-create it on your own; that can be fun adventure.

Traci's right, there's no particular order to do things in...just as the spirit moves you. If you've been using colored pencils, you might want to try watercolor pencils, that seems like a logical next step, but again it depends on your own likes and dislikes.

Just get in there and have fun, girl! :)

Michelle

tesschap
01-08-2007, 05:53 PM
I would make a list of techniques that you'd like to try and start a binder with a llist of supplies for each technique, instructions, and samples of each one as you try it. You can make notes on what worked for your, what didn't work, or what you like about the technique. I once did a technique swap and each participant was forced to try a technique they had never done before. It turned out to be a great project!

Teresa

KylaMaestas
01-09-2007, 07:54 PM
I start most of my new stampers where ever we happen to be... I think you will find that all the techniques are very do-able if you have a good source for easy to follow instructions. I would say some basic fun things to try might be playing with the pastels/chalks, basic watercoloring, heat/dry embossing.... and kind of go from there. Those are all very good starters (or at least I have found they are good starters) and from there you usually know where you want to go. For instance, if heat embossing is not your thing you could venture into other areas. If heat embossing is your thing you can expand to embossing with chalks, pearl ex and all sorts of fun and crazy things.

I would most definitely try and find some reps in your area from various companies and play to see what you like. To venture on your own I would definitely tell you to check out some of the on-line tutorials and such. I have found a lot of techniques from the technique junkie newsletters, you can find out more about that at www.patstamps.com (http://www.patstamps.com)

Hope this helps!!

Ryan'sGirl
01-09-2007, 08:19 PM
This looks like a great resource- can't wait to dig around a little more.

inkinmama
01-09-2007, 09:21 PM
There are plenty of good books on stamping, got to your local library and see what they have! That way you can try the book before you buy it!