+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Kitchen question

Re: Kitchen question

Quote Originally Posted by Patty View Post
    Oh, Kathy...I never heard of Penzey's....is it a regular grocery store, or is it special for baking stuff?
    www.penzeys.com Awesome spice company, used to be only catalog and then the stores started becoming more prevalent although still not everywhere. I would love to work there someday, but it is at least a half hour drive away and I'd be going with the rush hour traffic. Yuk. Prices are reasonable and very fresh.

Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by ellie View Post
    Well, we just finished a large thing of oregano that we purchased about 5 years BEFORE we moved to Charlotte 17 years ago next month!!! So I guess I would have to say, I wait until we run out. After 22 years, it still smelled and tasted fine.
    Ellie, I gotta say I think you can afford new oregano. Would you use canned goods that are 22 years old? Just saying!

Kathy

Kathy--you're funny...It seems from what I read here that to those that cooking is a happy pastime, the spices are important enough to be replaced timely. I think Ellie and I feel the same about cooking---it's a necessity...so we replace when we NEED to only. Maybe I'll look 'em up and try to change this habit. What do you say Ellie....you too???

I usually replace as needed for spices, though I use less of those than i do herbs..I go through tones of herbs, and most of those I grow myself.

somewhere on the corner of creativity and insanity!

i only replace once i run out. some like basil, paprika, garlic powder, cumin, chili powder and italian seasoning i use a lot and buy a few times a year the others just sit there until i need them!

+ Reply to Thread