+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

1. Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

We took Becca to College on Wednesday. I took the whole day off, packed up HER car & the van. There was VERY LITTLE room for anything other than what we had. I really didn’t think we took TOO much but it sure filled up A LOT of space!! We left right after lunch. Becca had planned to drive the whole way to prove to me she can drive herself home when she wants to but she got tuckered out about 2/3 of the way so I drove the rest of the way. Nick & Scott drove the van so Nick got A LOT of driving time!!!

We arrived in Springfield, MO about 6pm & went to Outback for our “last supper”. Then, ‘cause she wanted it, we went & got Coldstone. We stayed in a hotel in Springfield ‘cause there are only TWO hotels in Bolivar (where her college) is and neither is a chain that uses Scott’s hotel points. LOL. Thursday morning, we got up & Becca & I went to Chick Fil A for our favorite breakfast & then drove to Bolivar, about an hour away from the far corner of Springfield where we were.

When we arrived, we got a parking place right in front of the door to her dorm!!! Awesome spot!! (And, since I don’t think she’s taken her car anywhere since, I guess she STILL has the awesome spot! LOL) We wanted to get the lay of the land so we didn’t bring anything in with us first trip. There were a TON of boys standing around the door asking us if we needed any help. We told them we were fine.

We spent about 45 minutes in her room & made a rescue call to my dad (my parents are LITERALLY, just across the street from the college) trying to figure out WHAT could be done with the beds!!! The dorm is fairly old and until about a month ago, they had regular twin beds (the main reason Becca chose this dorm over the other 2!!) but, I guess the bowed to the pressure of the linen lobbyist who want to get the arm & leg that they can charge for XL-Twin sheets & changed all the beds & mattresses. So, since the walls were made when regular twin was used, they aren’t long enough to put an XL-Twin bed against them & STILL open the door!!!! Bunk beds are sooooo not teenage girls so we finally made a loft & a “normal” bed in an L shape w/about 6-7” of bed 1 UNDER bed 2. Hope her roommate’s ok with it!!! (her roommate is an upper-classmen & wasn’t getting there until yesterday, maybe?)

Dad, Scott & Nick went out to start unloading stuff. Suddenly about 15 boys were in her room loaded down w/EVERYTHING from both cars. Took about 2 minutes! Then, it was just a matter of finding where to put stuff…… Don’t know if she kept it where I put it or she & her roommate moved everything.

At 4:45, we all headed for the middle of the campus. The kids all left us & then they marched into the auditorium and away from their parents. In 4 years (hopefully) they will do the exact opposite & march OUT as college graduates!!! I teared up a little bit but didn’t bawl like I thought I would. We went back to my parents & on to dinner.

On Friday, we stopped at Target & Bed Bath & Beyond for some last minute items. We drove them back to Bolivar w/the intention of just locking them in Becca’s car but, she was in her room before lunch so we snuck back in & saw her one last time before we actually left town.

I miss her. It’s hard to see her empty room and just random things around the house that make me think of her. Yesterday, when I was in Fairview, the kettle corn people were there & I thought “I’ll get some popcorn to take home to ……..Becca’s not at home!!!” WHAAAAA I am holding it together & not crying as it won’t help anything and she’s where she’s supposed to be. I’m sure I’ll get used to it. I’m just waiting for the text telling me she’s having the best day ever!!! I want her to be happy and until she tells me that, I’m worried that she’s homesick & scared & hiding in her room. <sigh> Dad’s have it soooo much easier!!!

Re: Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

Oh Suzi bless you!! Becca has a terrific mom!! You did so much to get her ready for her first year away! I am sure in a few days she will be fine and just think before you know it will be fall break, then Thanksgiving and then Winter Break. You will just barely get her packed up again and it will be spring break and year 1 is done.
    I am sure you miss her but remember you raise them up to have a life of their own and this is where it starts and this is how you want it to start! I bet she will do great in her classes and remember your family is right there if anything comes up!!
    Did you get dorm pics, you will have to share them with us!!
    Best wishes-remember Sherri was said when Emily went to Pembroke, now look at she just sent her for her last year. Doesn't seem so long ago now.

3. Re: Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

Yeah, but once she graduates, she might get married and/or move away!!!!! Argh!!! LOL

My dgs just came back from 2 weeks at camp and we were missing him already. I can only imagine how you feel. Just try to remember that you did an awesome job raising her and she'll be fine!. If she's anything like my dd, you'll see more of yourself in her each time you see her. It's "just" another stage of life. Remember the movie "Failure to Launch"? You don't want that, right? Enjoy it.

5. Re: Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

You will blink your eyes and 4 years will be gone!!! I cant believe Emily is in her senior year. I really thought it would take Emily 5 years because I remember at her orientation they said "Don't be surprised if it takes them 5 years to graduate. That's the norm". So all of a sudden this summer I realized omg - she is graduating May 3rd, 2014!!! Emily is getting her major in Public Relations with a minor in Communications. So I just hope she can find something!

She currently has no boyfriend and she says she doesn't like any boy at her college to be her boyfriend so ... we will see how it goes. I said "how do you know you won't meet someone coming in new as a freshman"? She says with this horrendous look on her face .... MOM, A SENIOR CANNOT DATE A FRESHMAN.

LOL
    The Shackretary

6. Re: Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

I remember exactly how your feel, Suzi. Eleven years ago this past Saturday (8/17) we dropped our baby off at college (16 hours from home). As we were pulling out of the Coastal Carolina parking lot I looked in the rearview mirror and saw him standing there watching us pull away with a tear rolling down his face. I was so upset and just as my DH and I were regaining our composure my Mom called to tell us that my nephew was born. I started crying again (tears of joy). BTW - I started stamping a few weeks after dropping him off at school. DH was on a business trip and both boys were away at school. I was bored one evening so I called a local stamp store to inquire about a stamping class. I attended one that evening and an addiction was born ...

Hugs to you Suzi. It will get easier.
    Teresa

7. Re: Becca's off to college (very, very, VERY long!)

(((Hugs))) Suzi. I have two now-married sons, one grandson, and my baby boy is a senior in high school this year. Soon I may be an empty nester

I know exactly how you feel Suzi except you did better than I did. When we dropped Corey off at Georgia Tech almost 5 years ago, I cried for almost the whole 7 hour drive back to Memphis ... and I was driving. Now he has enough credits to graduate but he wants another minor in Oceanography before he joins Officer Training School for the Navy in January so he'll go through his graduation ceremony in December. It really is sad but this is their stepping stone into real life and you know how well you did setting her up for this. She will do fine. It's a wonderful experience for her and she is so lucky to have family nearby. Don't blink your eyes because her college years will be over before you know it and she will go on to the next phase of her life. Stay strong.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

+ Reply to Thread