+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: (Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

(Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

I had called our military clinic's appointment line, yesterday afternoon, to see if I could get a routine appointment next week. This was before I met with Nancy and her family for dinner. The scheduler told me I should really speak with an on-duty Tricare RN (Tricare is our insurance company). So, I called the RN-line, but they couldn't return my call until much later, they said.

Well, they called me 11:48 PM, ladies. Yes. Twelve minutes before midnight. The RN woke me up, but that's OK. I answered all of her questions (about symptoms). I was expecting her to say, "Oh. It's OK. You can go ahead and make a routine appointment on Monday." Instead, she said, "This is serious, ma'am. I need you to go to a medical facility within 24-hours and get examined for the symptoms you are presenting."

So, at midnight, last night, I was in a taxi cab, heading to Virginia Hospital Center in Arlington. Sean, my husband, stayed at the Marriott Hotel with our son. I wasn't going to drag them to the ER with me.

I get to the ER. The nurse in charge of in processing asked me some questions. Then, she ordered an ultrasound. 2 1/2 hours after checking in, I was on my way to ultrasound. At 3:00, I was finally taken back inside the ER. At 3:45 am, the doctor finally came in and examined me. They were looking at symptoms of appendicitis, an eptopic pregnancy, a twisted ovary, or connective tissue damage. Just a wide variety of things.

In the end, it turned out that I had several ovarian cysts, one being 2 cm wide and full of blood. This is what's been causing me severe pain for six weeks, now.

I was finally discharged at 5 AM. I made it back into our hotel room at 5:30. I slept until 9 AM; got up and got ready; and our family went to the Mall. We went to the Lincoln Memorial, Smithsonian Museum of Natural History, the Capitol, and the Hard Rock Cafe. So, I've been running on less than four hours of sleep at this point. LOL! Despite the ER visit, I had another terrific day exploring Washington DC. I just can't believe I ended up in the ER. I'm very thankful it wasn't appendicitis, and it turned out to be a pretty benign problem. I appreciate the RN's concerns. Though, going to an ER during vacation was the last thing I had expected to happen.
    Ethel

We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, therefore, is not an act but a habit. --Aristotle

Ability is what you are capable of doing.
    Motivation determines what you do.
    Attitude determines how well you do it.

My Blog: The Paperquilter

2. Re: (Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

Just so relieved you are alright Ethel............but what a worry for you.
    Please be careful how you go. I know being on holiday you dont want to spoil anything but neither do we want you to suffer. Do grab a rest when you can and know my caring thoughts are with you

3. Re: (Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

Oh you poor thing. Do they suggest any kind of surgery? You are in my prayers.

Re: (Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

Oh my Ethel. I'm so sorry you had to do all of that in the midst of your fun weekend. I take it from your description that you can wait until you get home for anything further. Hope you get good rest tonight.

Re: (Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

Ethel -- oh my goodness gracious! I can't believe that you went through all of this -- and then did all of that sightseeing! The ER can be quite an ordeal -- I'm glad they took such good care of you -- but WOW! Sounds like you got a LOT of sightseeing in today -- the weather was gorgeous -- I hope that helped.

Let me know if there is anything we can do for you before you leave! Have a safe trip...

We really, really enjoyed your visit.

You can't change yesterday, but you can ruin today by worrying about tomorrow.

Glad all is ok and you are still able to enjoy the day!
    Best get a little rest tonight! Meeting Nancy must have been really tough to send you to the ER

You certainly are having a memorable vacation so far! I understand you "pressing on" because it is a short trip, but make sure you don't overdo it. Take some "me time".
    Sarah

Goodness Ethel! I hope you are feeling better or at least they found a way for some of that pain to go away! I hope you can find some time to get a little rest in there as well. Its been years since I was in D.C. and can't wait until I can one day go back with my family. I hope the rest of your trip is uneventful in the emergency department!

:> Karen
    Time Crafted (my blog)

9. Re: (Warning: TMI) What would a vacation be without a trip to the emergency room?

Well, you wanted to see the DC/VA area. Just not in the ER right. Take it easy and enjoy the rest of your trip.

You poor thing. I hope everything is okay now.
    shelley

+ Reply to Thread