+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Went to my first military support group meeting

1. Went to my first military support group meeting

this morning. There are several families in our church who have a son or daughter in the military, so one of the moms decided to start a group. We are going to try and meet every other month. We are inviting everyone we know who has a family member in the military, and spreading the word. It's open to family, friends or anyone who supports the military and wants to help out in some way.

One of the moms has a son in the Marines who is now in Afghanistan, and another mom that was there--her son is in the Army and will leave for Afghanistan this coming Monday. He was able to come home a few days and he left yesterday to go back to Colorado before his deployment. There were 5 moms, 1 dad and 2 siblings there today. Another mom there--her son is at Army National Guard bootcamp; and the other mom--her daughter is a physical therapist in an Army hospital--has been to Iraq, but she is back in the states now.

We have lots of ideas of projects to do. One of the moms, whose son is on his 3rd deployment (and she has sent many boxes overseas), is going to go over postage rules for packages to soldiers...how to pack a box...what you can and cannot pack in a box, etc. We are also planning to contact some local businesses about donating snacks. We are also planning a card-making day to make Thanksgiving and Christmas cards. We also want to send to soldiers who don't get mail, and according to my friend whose daughter is the physical therapist, she talks to a lot of soldiers daily who never receive any mail. I think that is so sad.

Right now, my son is on schedule for deployment to Afghanistan in November, but his sergeant told them to pack their bags and be ready on a moment's notice as that date could change.

I think this group is going to be good for me and my family. If you have any ideas of projects for our group, please let me know and I will mention it at our next meeting which is September 12th.

Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

What a wonderful group you are starting Jan. I know you'll be a tremendous support to each other. I'm involved with Cards for Heroes. Sandy heads up the organization. I met her at 2peas and she is completely amazing. I think you'll find lots of options for projects there.

3. Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

Quote Originally Posted by teabear View Post
    What a wonderful group you are starting Jan. I know you'll be a tremendous support to each other. I'm involved with Cards for Heroes. Sandy heads up the organization. I met her at 2peas and she is completely amazing. I think you'll find lots of options for projects there.
    Oh thanks Tami for the link. I forgot to mention that as people join the group, we are getting their names and addresses, and we plan to send out a newsletter with information, upcoming events, things we've accomplished, websites to visit, etc. I will include Sandy's website, and we can discuss it at our next meeting.

Good for you Jan, This seams like a very helpful thing for all of you and the soldiers you are able to help. I'm glad your first meeting went well.

5. Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

That is wonderful to have a support group for the families! It will be so helpful for you.

In the military spouses are kept informed and offered support but the parents, siblings, grandparents, aunts and uncles and friends do not get that kind of information and support in the same way so I think this is fantastic.

Keep us posted as to special needs that you find out about.
    Jennifer

My blog

6. Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

I think this is a terrific idea, and I'm so happy that you guys started it up!!!!
    Traci

7. Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

That is so wonderful! I am sure it will help all of you to have each other. My work sends packages to troops around Christmas. One of my coworkers has 2 sons in the service. I know the one restriction was no pork products. We used priority boxes for packing. And the group we sent to requested drawings and notes from children. They said it's one of their favorite things to get. If you guys take donations can I send you some cards?
    Happy Crafting!

check out my blog : stamps scraps n more

8. Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

Quote Originally Posted by kimmyqtgirl View Post
    That is so wonderful! I am sure it will help all of you to have each other. My work sends packages to troops around Christmas. One of my coworkers has 2 sons in the service. I know the one restriction was no pork products. We used priority boxes for packing. And the group we sent to requested drawings and notes from children. They said it's one of their favorite things to get. If you guys take donations can I send you some cards?
    I love the idea of kids notes and drawings, and thank you for offering to send cards. That would be fantastic.

Good for you for getting this started in your area! I think it is important to support each other as I know that it must be difficult to have a loved one so far away.
    One of our schools sent letters, drawings etc to the troops- the students received so much feedback from the soldiers. It was the young kids that enjoyed it so much.

10. Re: Went to my first military support group meeting

Quote Originally Posted by Paula Carden View Post
    Good for you for getting this started in your area! I think it is important to support each other as I know that it must be difficult to have a loved one so far away.
    One of our schools sent letters, drawings etc to the troops- the students received so much feedback from the soldiers. It was the young kids that enjoyed it so much.
    I love when schools adopt soldiers--and soldiers respond back. I think it helps the kids understand better what it is like to serve our country in this way, and I'm sure they find it fascinating what some of our soldiers go through on a daily basis. Taking a shower for instance: one of the moms at our meeting yesterday said showers are taken with recycled water somehow and the water doesn't smell very good (according to her son who is Afghanistan.) Makes me very thankful for the amenities of home.

+ Reply to Thread