+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Help. I need advice for Tudi before DH makes me get rid of her ...

1. Help. I need advice for Tudi before DH makes me get rid of her ...

She is waking me up ALL HOURS of the night to eat. I really don't think she is truly hungry. She has always gotten me up EARLY - 5- 6 am which is no big deal since that is what time Emily gets up for school. But last night she woke me up at 2:30!!! What the heck!??!?! She is FULL SPEED AHEAD - like a BULL GOING CHARGE.

She is 3 years old so not really a puppy anymore. What do I need to do?

Besides teach her WHO'S BOSS? Charlie has about had it with her and he is threatening to either sell her or give her away and I don't want that but if we don't get this resolved quick, I may be resorting to it also. I need my sleep!!!
    The Shackretary

2. Re: Help. I need advice for Tudi before DH makes me get rid of her ...

I am no help with dogs. Don't have them, never understood anything about training them. Is she too big to make her sleep in a crate??? That's the only thing I know. Sorry. I know you need your sleep & and I KNOW you don't want to get rid of her. We lock jack in the basement & his food it automatic. Cats are a bit easier!!

Re: Help. I need advice for Tudi before DH makes me get rid of her ...

Does she have a nice comfy pillow to sleep on that she wouldn't want to get off of? Reba has a doggie "couch" and she sticks her nose in between the arm and the pillow and sometimes I can't even get her to get up to go outside.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

4. Re: Help. I need advice for Tudi before DH makes me get rid of her ...

Yep she has a nice blanky right beside our bed where she sleeps. She used to sleep in a crate but wined so bad I finally let her out. Charlie never heard her then.

Its me she does this with. When I am out of town, she acts PERFECTLY FINE.
    The Shackretary

Maybe you can pose your question here.
    Joanne

There are painters who transform the sun to a yellow spot, but there are others who with the help of their art and their intelligence, transform a yellow spot into the sun.~ Pablo Picasso

I guess it would be wrong to give her some benedryl when you go to bed, eh?

Have you had her checked out by the vet? THAT would be my first step.
    Make sure there are no physical problems that are the cause of thus and then maybe the vet can give suggestions, if he thinks it is bahavioral.

I would definitely NOT give any medication to an animal without checking with the vet first. STRANGE and potentially HARMFUL things can happen!

P.S. Oh and Bill knows he would go before one of our cats! LOL! He would never ask me (or tell me) to get rid of any of them.
    Susan Paulson

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece.".....Leonardo da Vince

8. Re: Help. I need advice for Tudi before DH makes me get rid of her ...

If she doesn't do this to Charlie when you're gone, then I think she has YOU trained. I know you don't want to, but I would make her sleep in her crate. Or put her somewhere that she can't get to you. Can you make her sleep in the laundry room or something??

And...how do you know she wants to eat??? Maybe she just wants to go outside?? If going outside doesn't do it and then after you feed her she will go back to bed, then I think you have a serious problem (and a very smart dog!) on your hands. Make her stick to a schedule no matter what. Colby eats at 7:30 in the morning. Never before. He eats dinner at 6:30 at night or later, but never before.

if you don't train them, they will train you!!!
    Traci

I feel for you, but the only thing that comes to mind here is to put the crate in the garage and let her work it out during the night.
    I suppose at this point your garage is not too cold for this. (or hot???)
    As time goes by, you could move the crate into the house, but still away from the bedroom.
    No one goes near her at night....
    By the time she gets closer to the bedroom, maybe she will not be in the habit of waking up in the night.
    I really know nothing about dogs...so this could be an entirely bogus suggestion.
    Good luck..it's awful to be sleep deprived!
    HUGS
    Joanie

We have a dog who has night terrors. Once he has one of those he then will wake my husband or I up and need to get water, food, and a trip outside. But he at times takes a bit to fall asleep but ultimately will. We know he is not messing with us just at night because the same thing happens during the day when he is sleeping heavy.
    Nicole

+ Reply to Thread