+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble with watercoloring

sensiblychicgirl Guest View Member Photos

Having trouble with watercoloring

I think I am either not using enough water or too much watercolor pencil. Do you just put a little colored circle in the middle of what you are coloring and then brush over with water?? I have never done watercoloring before and it looks so pretty. Please help!

sensiblychicgirl

2. I think the less water the better

but that's what I do. I have a watercolor pencil and when i use my blending pen, i just use very little water with it.

I also have this palette of watercolor inks (that are hard) and again, I use very little water.

Is that what you need to know? Good luck!
    The Shackretary

3. I watercolored this girls' dress on the left ...

The Shackretary

thanks!

That should help. I think maybe I was putting too much water on it.

sensiblychicgirl

lost luggage Guest View Member Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveflipflops View Post
    but that's what I do. I have a watercolor pencil and when i use my blending pen, i just use very little water with it.

I also have this palette of watercolor inks (that are hard) and again, I use very little water.

Is that what you need to know? Good luck!
    I have a question..whan you guys mention "blending pen" do you mean water brush or the blending pen?

6. Oops. I meant to say brush with water

not blending pen. Sorry!!
    The Shackretary

lost luggage Guest View Member Photos
    Quote Originally Posted by iloveflipflops View Post
    not blending pen. Sorry!!
    Thanks for clearing that up! I may have started a new technique all together. lol

Hey Julie

I have used a blender pen with watercolor pencils and I thought it worked pretty good. There are also pens you can buy that you fill with water. There is a brand called Aqua Painter (I think). I got one at Hobby Lobby or Michael's or somwhere and I can't remember the brand. I have a hard time using a brush. I don't know if it's because my fingers are too fat or what. I just find some kind of pen easier to use and control with out getting color all over the place.

Judy
    Create like there are no critics.

9. Lightbulb I outline the area I want to color with the watercolor pencil

then blended the color into the space with the Dove blender pen. I tried to do the same thing with an Aqua Brush, but it was just too wet. When I use the Twinkling H2O watercolor pans, I use the Aqua Brush to pick up the color. I've also used the Aqua Brush with watercolor crayons - scribble some of the crayon onto a scrap of paper, wet it with the brush/pick it up and paint the area (can also be done with watercolor pencils).

HTH
    ...oops, wrong hat!

Thanks flyingflower and everyone else

I am going to try outlining my image with the pencil and see how that goes.

sensiblychicgirl

+ Reply to Thread