+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anyone know about Vitamin D?

Anyone know about Vitamin D?

Hubby and I both take it as a supplement, but there are so many out there when you go to the store. Not really sure we are taking the right one. Can anybody inform me more? thanks!

Kathy

Re: Anyone know about Vitamin D?

I take Viactiv. It's a chocolate chewy thing in a purple box. It's really good and easy to get down.
    Kim

3. Re: Anyone know about Vitamin D?

I know I was taking a Vit D supplement last year when my blood test result showed low in Vit D. Then she gave me a 25,000 (whatever the vitamin thingy is called) mg and I had to take to take that for a while. Only after I did that, did i have enough Vit D in my system where i was then "normal". Does this make any sense?
    The Shackretary

But which Vitamin D was it? I've seen plain (just Vit D) D2, D3, why is one better than the other? And I thought Viactiv was a calcium supplement?

Kathy

My doctor just told me that my vitamin D level was low. She put me on vitamin D3 supplement. Vitamin D (any kind) is measured in International Units or IU. My doctor said that everyone should get the very least 5,000 IU's per day. ( You get 15,000 IU when you're outside in the sun for 20 minutes.) I am on 3,000 IU's for two months, then she'll check my levels after the first of the year. I usually get mine at Kroger; the Nature Made or Nature's Bounty. Pick up the 1,000 IU bottle. Kroger usually has them on sale BOGOF. Hope this helps.
    Amy

I get the same kind as Amy mentioned up above...dr. said the cancer med I take can lower my vit d count..I take one in the am and one in the pm---I think it also may help the calcium "work better". I take a few vits daily...sometimes I worry it's too many, but when I stop, I don't feel as well...good luck

Thanks, that is helpful. What we're taking now is just plain Vit D, but I was thinking we should switch to something else. Good to know your doctor told you 5,000 is a good number to take.

Kathy

8. Re: Anyone know about Vitamin D?

Since I don't get in the sun much (don't tan), I have extremely low Vitamin D. I had a physical with complete bloodwork and vitamin screening which showed my deficiency. My Vitamin D is by prescription and is a much higher unit than what you get in the store. I'm out at the moment, and I can tell the biggest different in how I feel. When you have low Vitamin D, your bones don't absorb calcium. So two things can happen (1) osteo arthritis can start and (2) calcium deposits in your muscle tissue. I have had sore knots in my muscles. The way to get rid of that is massage and drinking a lot of water before and after.

glad to see this post, gary's dr just told him he needs to start taking it & as all my family does, I assume I should too..now to go find some

+ Reply to Thread