+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The care, feeding and organizing of distress inks

1. The care, feeding and organizing of distress inks

This was my major creative project last week. I have worked for years to collect many of the distress ink pads and the reinkers. I consider them my "go to" inks. During the holidays I realized may of my pads were very dry. Finally last week I decided it was their time for considerable attention. I considered this project was treatig them to their day at my craft room spa LOL!

Care and feeding-I cleaned every pad removing any glitter and frayed threads then reinked each one.

Organization-I generally work with my ink pads in tall stacks and I am not clear about the specific colors by name. Unfortunately the manufactures labels are not the actual color of the inks. Some time ago I began labelling the bottom edge of my ink pads with strips of paper colored with a blender tool and stamped as well.

Making color chart-I also sponged a piece of a label for each color and put it on a color chart that I download from the Ranger website.

Organization-After I was done I realized that it would be helpful for me to have the inkpads numbered so I could quickly put them away in order and insure I had not misplaced one during my work. Similiarly I numbered all the reinkers. Items that are missing in the photo are still on my shopping list.

I plan to also label my distress stains and markers.

When my project was completed I copied the color chart to keep with the actual products. The master will be used for shopping purposes.

Thanks for looking!

Distress ink & reinkers.jpgDistress reinkers.jpg

Re: The care, feeding and organizing of distress inks

WOW! That is a lot of ink! Great system for organization!! Thanks for sharing with us!!

That is awesome Jan!! I need to do something like that too!
    Dee

Well, look at you go! What a project but it'll be nice to have juicy pads now when you're being creative.

Kathy

wow, great system..much more elaborate than my piece of lable with the color smeared on.. love teh idea of a shopping reference

When are you coming here, I have that same job for you here. Besides it is still warmer here than in Alaska. - Nancy

I was thinking the same thing, Nancy. Just let me know an I will leave the key out for you!
    That is amazing. It will really pay off in the long run, won't it.
    HeatherJ
    http://stampthedayaway.blogspot.com/

October 2009 Bingo numbers are 6, 12, 18, 24, 31, 39, 54, 70, 82, 97

My winning Bingo numbers 3 6 12 30 50 61 65 80 93 98 - I want to keep them in the hall of fame!!

I am admiring your reinker collection. While I do have every distress ink colour, I only have bought reinkers for the colours I use all the time, or if I want it to make shimmermist. I agree that the colour on the top of the distress inks is not the ink colour. Infact, the labels have changed in the past 2 years, aND ARE NOTHING LIKE THEY USED TO BE. What are your favourite distress ink colours? My most used are aged mahogany, broken china and walnut stain at the moment (not together).
    Sarah

Well you can come here anytime and I won't even put you to work! I will just make you a pampered princess like you did for me!

Kathy

10. Re: The care, feeding and organizing of distress inks

Yes, I was very fortunate to catch a couple "moving sales" at the right moment and added a lot of the inkpads and reinkers at sweet giveaways prices. I am really happy that I will now be able to quickly find the color I want. And while I often I reach for broken china ink, my#1 fav I am always happy to select any distress ink combo. Sarah I see you have a terrific combo of favorites. I will certainly shout out if I ever travel plans in any Shackies area!

Is any one else working on organization projects?

+ Reply to Thread